Quantcast
2012 Tennessee Boys Track and Field - Page 50 - TrackTalk
TrackTalk

Go Back   TrackTalk > South/Southeast > Tennessee
Register Advertising Members List Search Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Legends

boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!

A.J. is the only one I know of that still actively posts.

It is good to see all the new posters. In about two months, the activity on this board will be as it should be. Nothing gets the conversation going like XC. And hopefully I won't have to troll so hard to keep people posting
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM

mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...

Awards for 2012 Tennessee Boys Track Season:

Class Awards:
Freshman of the Year - Adam Barnard (Boone kid, same one as fall)
Sophmore of the Year - Quintin McKinnish (no further exlanation needed)
Junior of the Year - Brock Baker (sub 9, 4:10 mile, STATE CHAMPION)
Senior of the Year - Simon Holden (best senior across ALL divisons)

Most Improved Through Season:
Quintin McKinnish - no base at all, from over 4:30 indoor to 4:17 outdoor
Nathan Thomas - kid had a superb State Meet in both 16/32

Most Surprising Thing This Year:
Two Things:
A.) The amazing depth in the 800 (AND consequently 4 X 800)
B.) The amazing lack of depth in 32 in AAA (no one ran between 9:00-9:20)

Race of the Year:
Either:
State Championship 800
OR
MCDC Mile

Most Underrated Runners of Year:
Nathan Thomas - see state meet
Conner Thompson - talk about being a stud on a team of THE stud of TN
Alden Dixon - didn't do much during season, but showed up at state
Kris Howard - puts out great times and I believe did the 4X8 and 16 double

Most Disappointing:
Skyler Winchester - typically a track stud
Paul Stuart - never seemed to gain momentum after a stellar cross season
T2 - thought he would have been making more noise in the 32

Lookout for Next Year:
McKinnish,Warriner, Brock, Conner Thompson

Most Bizarre Thing This Year:
McElroy not able to even come close to defending his 1600 title ? AND how SLOW the state 16 went out, 69.XX , are you kidding me?.....

Predictions for Next Year:
3200: Baker, Thompson, T2
1600: Baker, Warriner, McKinnish
800: Warriner, Hilton, McKinnish
4 X 800: HVA, Oakland, Indy

Well well well, here we are at the close of yet another very interesting year. From Brocks phenominal season in which he was practically unbeatable from start to finish, to McElroy's only good race coming at state in the 800 where it counted, to Warriner showing up guns a blazing, to McKinnish's progression, to the sick depth of the 800, it tells me distance running in TN is on the rise. It make me really glad to see Brock take control of those races and win the double, relatively easy. His faith has played a big part of his success, cudos to him, big time. Of course, these awards are solely based of my opinion, with no influence at all, so take from it what you wish.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Legends

boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!boltoncct&f OVER 9000!!!

I would argue some of your list, but it is faaaaaarrr too late. Maybe tomorrow morning.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 AM

ghunterman Heading Big placesghunterman Heading Big placesghunterman Heading Big placesghunterman Heading Big places

Couple of things about the above mentioned list:

McElroy battled problems with his heels all year. He still trained through it, and did very well at state. Say what you will about his "style", if you have ever suffered through that malady...it hurts. Pretty tough runner.

Mckinnish won the state middle school championship the year after Baker. He broke the state record on the same course that Baker had set the record on the year before. I have seen the biggest jumps in time between 7th and 8th grade and between 10th and 11th grade. If this holds true, a lot of runners will have their hands full next year.

Surprisingly, there are a few athletes that are being trained by a a lot of different coaches. Most of them are on this list. IMO, that has to be the most difficult way to train. No consistency, not as much team element. Shows a lot of love for the sport. Hats off to those guys.

One last thing before XC posts in 3 months.

Andrew Ogle, it's been fun running with and against you. The rest of us will be watching you do well at Georgetown. Go Hoyas.

Last edited by ghunterman : 06-07-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:06 AM

slornow New To The Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo man View Post

Class Awards:

Two Things:

Race of the Year:
Either:
State Championship 800
OR
MCDC Mile

Most Disappointing:

Lookout for Next Year:

McElroy not able to even come close to defending his 1600 title ? AND how SLOW the state 16 went out, 69.XX , are you kidding me?.....

Well well well, here we are at the close of yet another very interesting year. From Brocks phenominal season in which he was practically unbeatable from start to finish, to McElroy's only good race coming at state in the 800 where it counted, to Warriner showing up guns a blazing, to McKinnish's progression, to the sick depth of the 800, it tells me distance running in TN is on the rise. It make me really glad to see Brock take control of those races and win the double, relatively easy. His faith has played a big part of his success, cudos to him, big time. Of course, these awards are solely based of my opinion, with no influence at all, so take from it what you wish.
I believe Simon Holden was a junior this year. As a senior he will certainly be in the mix with that strong group next year. Should be some fast times next Fall/Spring.

There were alot of solid seniors this year but the underclassmen really made the headlines with some blazing times. Although not contending that he was the top senior this year Gil Walton of McCallie had a strong spring track season despite only being able to participate in a limited number of races. Yes, I'm biased...full disclosure...he's my son.

3200 9:12.34 (#2 TN) (#1 senior TN)
Mile/1600 4:15.27/4:13.79 (#4 TN) (#2 senior TN)
800 1:56.72 (#14 TN) (#8 senior TN)

Solid times across the three. Its been fun following the posts here on TrackTalk. Will definitely be checking in to see how the underclasssmen do next year. Really exceptional crop of distance guys coming up.

Coming out of xc season I thought D. Peters would light it up on the track. He had a phenomenal finish to the xc season. Was he injured? Hope all of the seniors enjoy their college experience whether running or not.

Roll Tide!

Last edited by slornow : 06-07-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Coach

ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!ORXCCoach OVER 9000!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunterman View Post
Surprisingly, there are a few athletes that are being trained by a a lot of different coaches. Most of them are on this list. IMO, that has to be the most difficult way to train. No consistency, not as much team element. Shows a lot of love for the sport. Hats off to those guys.
An interesting observation but not so surprising, if you asked me. There are lots of private coaches out there--it's a booming industry, apparently. If athletes find that they're not getting the quality of coaching they'd like from their school coaches, they seem able to hunt out what they want privately.

As long as we have such an inconsistent quality of coaching at the school level, that will continue. As it is, TSSAA and school systems have no base-level qualifications for high school coaching (and even less than that for middle school coaching), other than (in general) possession of a teaching license. You don't have to have had any sport-specific training, and even the coaches' education class TSSAA mandates provides very little of any value. Some places get a quality, committed coach, while others get the friendly social studies teacher who wants the pathetic supplement the schools pay--so he holds practices three times per week and races only on Tuesdays and Thursdays so he can still have his weekends. It's too bad.

In my estimation, we need either to be prepared to accept more of these private coaches in our ranks (and there were many of them at the state meet wearing coaching passes...), or we need to do away with the school-based sport model and go to a club model. I'd be 100% for a club model.

Last edited by ORXCCoach : 06-07-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 AM

omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...omguklldchicago is known among these parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slornow View Post
I believe Simon Holden was a junior this year. As a senior he will certainly be in the mix with that strong group next year. Should be some fast times next Fall/Spring.

There were alot of solid seniors this year but the underclassmen really made the headlines with some blazing times. Although not contending that he was the top senior this year Gil Walton of McCallie had a strong spring track season despite only being able to participate in a limited number of races. Yes, I'm biased...full disclosure...he's my son.

Solid times across the three. Its been fun following the posts here on TrackTalk. Will definitely be checking in to see how the underclasssmen do next year. Really exceptional crop of distance guys coming up.

Coming out of xc season I thought D. Peters would light it up on the track. He had a phenomenal finish to the xc season. Was he injured? Hope all of the seniors enjoy their college experience whether running or not.

Roll Tide!
Walton deserves to be in the underrated group as well. Which is crazy considering he's the second best 3200 runner in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo man View Post

Class Awards:

Two Things:

Race of the Year:
Either:
State Championship 800
OR
MCDC Mile

Most Disappointing:

Lookout for Next Year:

You're forgetting someone in the 800. I think a triple may be attempted next year.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM

bro circle guy Journey Manbro circle guy Journey Manbro circle guy Journey Manbro circle guy Journey Manbro circle guy Journey Manbro circle guy Journey Manbro circle guy Journey Man

Seems like a pretty easy list to compile. No real debate on anyone, on any one topic, but a good list nonetheless. To go off point B on the "Most surprising this year," I'm very interested to see how such a great 800, 1600 class transitions to the 2012 XC season... Because (brock & McKinnish's 16:05 at state aside) this past XC season was all but average.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 PM

rednationxc Knowledgablerednationxc Knowledgablerednationxc Knowledgable

Quote:

Roll Tide!
Daniel was injured pretty much all track season. Similar to me last year, he didn't really race until the last month of the season due to a hip and achilles problem. No doubt he would have been really mixing it up. Most of his training from January to the end of March was biking, swimming and core. All things considered, I was impressed with how well he came back.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 PM

mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...mondo man is known among these parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunterman View Post
McElroy battled problems with his heels all year. He still trained through it, and did very well at state. Say what you will about his "style", if you have ever suffered through that malady...it hurts. Pretty tough runner.
Yeah, I was just surprised he got hurt and wasn't able to do anything in the 16, he had the leg speed to drop a great 800 at state though, ending it on a high note.

Quote:
I believe Simon Holden was a junior this year.

Roll Tide!
MY BAD! I totally typed that list out after just waking up. I was thinking Gil the ENTIRE time ha. Gil, unfortunately, will probably be THE most under the radar runner TN will ever see in a LONG while. Congrats to TSSAA for screwing him over in the worst fashion. Definitely best senior overall in my opinion for the entire 2011-2012 school year.

And Peters actually was second in the 32 and third in the 16. I doubt he would even run track this year considering from several sources, he is NOT running collegiality. Great end to high school campaign though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORXCCoach View Post
An interesting observation but not so surprising, if you asked me. There are lots of private coaches out there--it's a booming industry, apparently. If athletes find that they're not getting the quality of coaching they'd like from their school coaches, they seem able to hunt out what they want privately.

As long as we have such an inconsistent quality of coaching at the school level, that will continue. As it is, TSSAA and school systems have no base-level qualifications for high school coaching (and even less than that for middle school coaching), other than (in general) possession of a teaching license. You don't have to have had any sport-specific training, and even the coaches' education class TSSAA mandates provides very little of any value. Some places get a quality, committed coach, while others get the friendly social studies teacher who wants the pathetic supplement the schools pay--so he holds practices three times per week and races only on Tuesdays and Thursdays so he can still have his weekends. It's too bad.

In my estimation, we need either to be prepared to accept more of these private coaches in our ranks (and there were many of them at the state meet wearing coaching passes...), or we need to do away with the school-based sport model and go to a club model. I'd be 100% for a club model.
Interesting. I love the private coaching part of our sport. Kids need one-on-one attention. If you get a good high school coach who loves the sport and does it for the sport and not the check, he WILL find the time to dedicate and personalize training. But, sadly that doesn't almost 99% of the time in the great state of TN. I speak from personal experience, trust me.

I was talking with Anders Ludvigsen (Danish runner on ETSU's squad) and he explained the whole way cross country was for him in high school. It was a club format and it seemed pretty much totally ideal and that it functioned really well. It was very uniform throughout, I like the thought of it, but there is just something about putting on a jersey representing your school that is really cool to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omguklldchicago View Post
Walton deserves to be in the underrated group as well. Which is crazy considering he's the second best 3200 runner in the state.

You're forgetting someone in the 800. I think a triple may be attempted next year.
Gil - see above

I see someone is now a believer in Brock ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro circle guy View Post
Seems like a pretty easy list to compile. No real debate on anyone, on any one topic, but a good list nonetheless. To go off point B on the "Most surprising this year," I'm very interested to see how such a great 800, 1600 class transitions to the 2012 XC season... Because (brock & McKinnish's 16:05 at state aside) this past XC season was all but average.
Hey Bolton, 15 guys under 16:00 this fall?

It's realistic....

One note, after this spring, I feel McKinnish has established himself as the best runner in his grade, after T2 pretty much ruled freshman year.

Let the thoughts begin, cross discussion starts after NBON.... OR the Trials and Olympics, its just that kind of year.